HEALTH & NUTRITION
All the Right Stuff
As part of the Hollandia Dairy family, we care about your health. To keep your bones and body healthy, you need at least 1,000 mg of calcium each day — the equivalent of three 8-ounce glasses of milk (or 24 ounces total).
About two out of three Americans fall short of the calcium they need. Drinking milk can help reduce the risk of osteoporosis, a bone-crippling disease that affects 28 million Americans. Milk helps keep bones strong because it provides calcium, vitamin D and other bone-building nutrients like phosphorus and magnesium.
Milk is packed with nine essential nutrients, including calcium, vitamins A, D and B12, protein, potassium, riboflavin, niacin and phosphorus - many of which are often lacking in the diets of most Americans.
For more information on nutrition and the benefits of dairy, click on links below:
- Staying Healthy
- Healthy Weight
- Making Good Beverage Choices
- Facts About Milk / 9 Essential Nutrients
- Dairy and Weight Loss
- Key Vitamins and Minerals in Milk
- Weighing In on the American Diet
- The Importance of Milk in the Diet
Get the Skinny (Health and Fitness)
In addition to getting the recommended amount of dairy servings into your daily diet, regular physical activity will enhance your weight loss efforts. Once you're on the right track with your eating plan, think about ways to be more active.
Aim to be active for at least 30 minutes each day. To get the most health benefits and prevent weight gain, work up to 60 minutes of moderate-intensity activity each day. Virtually any activity, even household chores done in short segments throughout the day, can help you reach the recommended goal for physical activity.
A growing body of evidence shows that when people include three servings of milk a day (or 24 ounces every 24 hours) in a reduced-calorie diet, they lose significantly more weight and fat. The studies suggest that the mix of nutrients found in milk, such as calcium and protein, may help improve the body's ability to burn fat — particularly around the middle.
For more information on fitness and the benefits of dairy, click on links below:
- Workout Recovery Tips
- Workout Nutrition
- Chocolate Milk: Sports Drink of Champions
- Latinos and Health
Milk Facts Links
- Milk Life, www.milklife.com
- Why Milk, www.gotmilk.com
- School Nutrition Association, www.schoolnutrition.org
- Dairy Council of California, www.healthyeating.org
- National Dairy Council, www.nationaldairycouncil.org
- Nutrition Explorations, www.nutritionexplorations.org
- CAL POLY Agriculture Homepage, www.cagr.calpoly.edu
- California Milk Advisory Board (CMAB), www.realcaliforniamilk.com
- California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA), www.cdfa.ca.gov